I've been reading comments here and there about Brokeback Mountain and I continually see, "OMG! It will be so hot!" and "Heath and Jake filmed the love scene 13 times! You know they loved it!" So, okay, yes. I'm sure Heath and Jake will be hot together (quite) but, if all I wanted was hot men fucking, I could buy some Bel Ami
DVDs and be done with it. But I've been there, done that, and it's not enough for me. I'm in it for the build up and the intimacy and the aftermath. People are quite clearly free to take whatever they want from Brokeback Mountain but I think watching the film simply for m/m action misses the intention of the film. (Also? RPS and fantasy aside (which I could never invalidate when I sport a fabulous Viggo/Orlando mood theme), Heath and Jake did not set ablaze the burning embers of their passion after filming the love scene.)
More on intimacy. I need it in fic, too. I love me some smut. In fact, "fade to black" makes me whimper. But I want either a) long build up to the intimacy or b) indication of how much more is behind the sex in a short PWP. That's what I connect to. It's the same in fisting fic which I long ago admitted having a kink for. It's not simply the physical act that I'm drawn to...it's the trust and connection behind it in a well written story. Drift Away
(SGA) is one that gets it just right. (Normally Kinky by quiet00001
(popslash) is another and I'd link it here but the entry isn't public anymore.) There's certainly fisting fic out there that's anything but
this kind of initmacy and connection but that's not what I'm after. Well, most often not. Every now and then the mood calls for some good old fashioned Death Eater fun. (ETA:
Link to Normally Kinky
. Thank you!)
* I had great plans for today when I woke up at 8:30am but a nap from noon - 3pm means I still haven't done a damn thing. But Sally and I had quality time which counts for something.
wrote some commentary
on "Epiphany" that had me both agreeing and recognizing that I will never
have the patience to write such a long and detailed episode review/character study/meta/whatever. I'm more a "good episode - here are some fun quotes" sort of reviewer mostly, I suppose, because I get bored 1/4 through my analysis and it turns into "good episode - here are some fun quotes" anyway.
* There's this "Can't Buy Me Love" SGA AU out there that is actually fic by multiple people that keeps growing and expanding and makes me incredibly happy. It started with this
which eventually grew into Part I of The Best Things In Life Are Free
(which is really where you want to start). Then z_rayne
wrote an outtake, Life Lived As a John Hughes Movie
which flows perfectly between Part I and Part II
. Note: This is a WIP. Finally, but not really because the original story isn't complete yet, monanotlisa
wrote this short gem
that, presumably, takes place sometime after Part II and is well worth reading while we wait for Part III.
* I don't think House or Wilson would be caught dead in these outfits but the idea behind the image put a smile on my face
* Another SGA rec. Care In The Holding by laceymcbain. Sheppard/McKay, R. "Everything comes back to the weight of a gun in his hand." This is one of those stories I just want to curl up inside of. It's beautifully done and makes me love McKay & Sheppard in whole new ways.
* Finally. Did anyone else realize that powrhug doesn't like fish, milk, or soup? Soup! Someone tell her that woman can not survive on vodka alone. :p